This past four years I have learned SO MUCH!!! Not only about photography, but about myself. I cannot wait to see what the next four years has in store. Here are some things I have learned about wedding photography:
1. Plan for
nothing, Almost nothing but be prepared for everything. You will be amazed what can happen on a wedding day!
2. Do the Grandparents portraits first, even if it messes up your portrait schedule, don’t make them wait around it’s rude.
3. Don’t get so caught up with the bride that you alienate the groom’s family. Be sure they feel every bit as important it’s their day too!
4. Always be sure you have a place for big enough for portraits, especially when you have 12 bridesmaids, 12 groomsmen and 3 flower girls.
5. Go with the flow. Don’t interrupt important parts of the day to compose your photo, suck it up and find a way to shoot it. ( I once worked with a photographer who re-positioned the flower girl mid- ceremony !!!! )
6. It is not about location, it is about lighting and emotion.
7. Always bring all of the bags inside…you DO need them weather you think so or not.
8. Drink water, lots of water or you will pass out.
9. It might not be the grandmother, she might be the stepmother….oops always ask about those special situations.
10. Always wear a big smile , be helpful and kind. Without fail people will tell you how awesome you are before they ever see a single photo.
Since 75% of photographers fail within three years, I am grabbing a glass of bubbly to celebrate getting past the this BIG milestone.
I made it!!!!